What makes someone go from a partner at a large law firm to striking out on their own in a small practice? In this incredible talk, we learn from the candid Erin Durant about her adventure into building something herself.
She talks about how going out on your own is less scary than people think. She gets into all the ways she prepared herself to do things herself, and what it takes to build an incredible culture (that is to contrary to how big law thinks!) at a firm.
She makes a compelling case on why now is a better time than ever before to strike out on your own and succeed.
Plus of course, the need for a coach and mentor during pivotal moments of change in your life & career.
We get into all the details about mentorship, marketing, and mental health as well in this episode.
- Find Erin Durant at Durant Barristers.
- Project Aristotle by Google: a large scale study on culture and corporate success.
- Lead from the Outside by Stacey Abrams
Help Us Out!
If you enjoy the podcast, would you please consider leaving a short review on Apple Podcasts (or wherever you listen to your podcast)? It takes less than 60 seconds, and it really makes a difference in helping to convince hard-to-get guests. We also love reading your reviews! Click here for the guide on how to do the reviews on every major platform. Thank you – we really appreciate it!
- Join the next cohort of our Build Your Book Academy.
- Get the LinkedIn for Lawyers Course.
- The Authentic Lawyer Blog is filled with short emails sent bi-weekly with great ideas and voices to help you build your law practice your way. Read it, and subscribe to get new posts your way at blog.buildyourbook.org.
If you have any comments or would to join as a guest on our podcast or nominate someone, send us a note here.
Also available wherever you listen to your podcasts:
For more podcast links, go here.
Thank you for having me on the Podcast! It was a lot of fun!